Sample Quiz Bowl Questions
State Days Food and Nutrition Contest
The following are sample quiz bowl questions. They are taken from the Pennsylvania
4-H Foods projects and written by Becky Bowdoin. These are included here so they
can be used to study, but in all likelihood they will be re-written and other questions
included in the state contest. Use these for practice sessions. Concentrate on
studying the project materials. Jan Scholl
1. How many teaspoons are in a tablespoon?
Bonus: How many tablespoons are in a cup?
Answer: 16 tablespoons
2. What is the number of recommended daily servings from the Bread, Rice, Cereal and Pasta group.
Answer: 6-11 servings
Bonus: Name three main nutrients that are found in the Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta Group.
3. When clearing the table, what is necessary to remove and put away first?
Answer: Perishable foods
Bonus: What are two ways that meat can be safely thawed?
Answer: In the refrigerator,microwave (if cooked promptly), or under running cold water (Food and Fitness 33)
4. There are three basic ways of serving food. Which of the following describes placing food on a counter or table for people to serve themselves?
a. individual service b. family service c. buffet service
Answer: c. buffet service (Adventures, 33)
Bonus: When setting the table, on which side of the plate should the forks be placed?
Answer: left (Chef, 21)
5. Which vitamin is produced in the body when you are exposed to sunlight?
Answer: Vitamin D (Food and Fitness, 7)
Bonus: There is more of this mineral in your body than any other mineral. What is this mineral?
Answer: Calcium (Bites, 8)
6. How should eggs be stored in the refrigerator?
Answer: In the carton they come in (Six Easy Bites, 27)
Bonus: Name one change that happens as eggs lose their freshness.
Answer: whites become thinner, the yolk flattens, the air cell gets larger (Bites, 27)
7. The small letter "c" is the abbreviation for what measurement?
Answer: cup (Adventures, 11)
Bonus: How many cups are in a gallon?
8. Give an example of a fruit or vegetable that is high in fat.
Bonus: Which of the following contains the highest amount of fat?
a. hamburger b. ground chuck c. ground round
Answer: a. hamburger
9. You should keep the freezer at this temperature or below.
Answer: 0 degrees F
Bonus: How can freezer burn be avoided?
Answer: By keeping food away from air by wrapping it tightly
10. How should brown sugar be measured?
Answer: Packed into a dry measuring cup and leveled off
Bonus: If there is no sifter available, how can flour be measured?
Answer: Flour can be stirred and spooned lightly into the cup, then leveled off with a straight edge (Adventures, 14)
11. A calorie is a unit of measurement. What does it measure?
Answer: the amount of fuel in a food (Adventures, 20)
Bonus: If you want to lose one pound of fat in two weeks, how many total calories will you have to cut out over the two weeks?
a. 1, 500 b. 3, 500 c. 600
Answer: b. 3,500 (Food and Fitness, 21)
12. How does drying food help preserve it?
Answer: Removes water so microorganisms cannot grow and enzymes cannot continue ripening the food (Tidbits, 40)
Bonus: True or False. You can use a microwave oven to dry fruits.
Answer: False. It tends to cook the fruits rather than dry them. (Chef, 31)
13. Name two leavening agents used to make dough rise.
Bonus: What is the difference between baking soda and baking powder?
Answer: Baking powder is baking soda with an acid included
14. Dark, leafy, green vegetables and deep yellow fruits and vegetables are good sources of what vitamin?
Answer: Vitamin A (Adventures, 23)
Bonus: Name one thing vitamin A does in the body.
15. What is the optimum storage temperature for canned or dry foods?
Answer: 67 degrees F (Tidbits, 25)
Bonus: How long can canned foods be stored?
Answer: One year (Chef, 32)
16. Why does cut fruit turn brown?
Answer: A reaction with the oxygen in the air, results in enzymes in the fruit speeding up this process (Tidbits, 25)
Bonus: Because fruits often darken when they are cut, what can be done to prevent this from happening?
17. What ingredient in yeast breads adds flavor and controls the rising
of the bread?
Answer: salt (Chef, 18)
Bonus: When making bread, what action distributes ingredients evenly thoughout the dough and develops the structure of the bread?
Answer: Kneading (Chef, 23)
18. Which of the following people needs more servings from the Dairy Group per day? a. Rob, a 4-year-old b. Susan, a 13-year-old c. Linda, a 42-year-old
Answer: b. Susan (Food and Fitness, 16)
Bonus: What are three main nutrients that are found in milk?
19. What are the two types of canners that can be used to can foods?
Answer: boiling-water canner and pressure canner
Bonus: Before using any canned food, you should look at it to be sure the food is safe. What are two signs of an unsafe canned food?
20. There are several fruits that do not allow gelatin to set. Name one
Bonus: Why should fruit juice be added to milk slowly while stirring rather
than milk added to fruit juice?
Answer: Because the milk will curdle. (Food and Fitness, 17)
21. Which food group contains beans?
Answer: Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, and Nuts Group
Bonus: How many eggs are equal to a serving from the Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, and Nuts Group
Answer: 2 eggs (Food and Fitness, 9)
22. What happens when freshly baked bread is wrapped before it cools?
Answer: Moisture collects on the inside of the wrapper from the steam. This can affect the quality of the product and how long it stays fresh.
Bonus: What might happen if a cake is not cooled before it is frosted?
Answer: the frosting thins and runs down the cake, the cake tears when you try to spread the icing.
23. What are the three different types of brands of products available at a grocery store?
Answer: National brand, store brand, generic
Bonus: Why are store brands less expensive than national brands for the same items?
Answer: Lower advertising costs (Tasty Tidbits, 11)
24. How many extra calories per day does a pregnant woman need during her pregnancy?
Answer: 300 calories per day (Foodworks, 5)
Bonus: Parents and sitters can help kids develop good eating habits by eating a variety of foods themselves. Name two other ways to help kids establish good eating habits.
25. When there is a power outage, what should you do with completely thawed
foods that are still above 40 degrees?
Answer: Cook it immediately or discard it. Donít refreeze it. (Food and Fitness, 26)
Bonus: True or False. Wax paper can be used to cover foods in the refrigerator.
Answer: False. Wax paper cannot keep air and excess moisture out of food. (Food and Fitness, 26)
26. Which one of the following cooking terms means to combine sugar and fat by working them together until the mixture is smooth?
a. blend b. cream c. mix
Answer: b. cream (Adventures, 13)
Bonus: What do all these foods have in common: honey, molasses, corn syrup, and brown sugar?
Answer: They are sugars
27. What is the calorie difference between 1 cup of skim milk and 1 cup of whole milk?
Answer: 60 calories
Bonus: What amount of milk or yogurt is considered a serving of the Dairy Group?
Answer: 1 cup (Food and Fitness, 9)
28. True or False. Some bacteria and molds are good for you and are used to make foods.
Answer: True. (Tidbits, 26-29)
Bonus: Name a food made using a "good" bacteria.
Answer: yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, other cheeses (Tidbits, 26-29)
29. What happens when a sandwich with mayonnaise or salad dressing is frozen?
Answer: The mayo or salad dressing makes the bread mushy.
Bonus: What happens when quick breads, such as corn bread and biscuits, are frozen?
Answer: They crumble easily
30. True or False. Sports drinks are usually better to drink than water.
Bonus: Name three things your body needs water for.
Contact for questions
to Jan Scholl's home page